At least eight migrants -- six minors and two women -- reportedly drowned off the Greek island of Samos after their boat got into trouble at sea.
On Monday (November 25), at least eight migrants, six minors and two women, reportedly drowned after the boat on which they were traveling hit trouble off the coast of the Greek island in the eastern Aegean.
Strong winds were present in the area at the time of the accident, reported the German press agency dpa.
According to reports, 36 other migrants managed to save themselves and reach land. Those suspected of smuggling them have been taken into custody, reported the German Catholic news agency KNA.
The Greek coast guard confirmed that it had rescued three others from the sea. The nationality of those on board is not immediately known.
Read AlsoGreece: One dead and over 90 migrants rescued from sea
Rubber dinghy in distress
Locals on Samos alerted authorities early Monday morning about a rubber dinghy in distress. According to KNA, some migrants managed to swim ashore and took temporary refuge in a church.
According to survivors, the boat may have been carrying as many as 50 people.
Samos is not far from the Turkish coast.
A search and rescue operation continues, involving a patrol vessel, a lifeboat, a naval ship, a helicopter and land crews.
Greece’s Migration Minister Nikos Panagiotopoulos said that tougher action was needed to try and prevent smugglers putting people’s lives in danger.

"The shipwreck on Samos with the loss of eight innocent lives, including six children, fills us with sadness and anger," Panagiotopoulos told the media. "The unscrupulous criminals who trade in human lives will meet with our determination to eradicate their activities," he pledged.
Read AlsoTwo dead migrants recovered off Samos after a busy weekend for the Greek coast guard
Arrivals in Greece increasing
The number of migrants arriving in Greece in recent months has been increasing. According to the latest data from the UN Refugee Agency UNHCR, which was last updated on November 17, almost 48,000 migrants have arrived in Greece by sea since the beginning of the year.
More than 8,000 migrants have arrived on Samos in that period. The majority of those arriving come originally from Syria, with nationals from Afghanistan and Egypt being the second and third-largest national groups for arrivals.
The registration camps on the islands of Samos, Kos, Leros, Lesbos and Chios are reportedly "almost full," writes dpa. Combined, they have a capacity for about 14,000 people, of which 13,000 are currently taken.

Incident off Leros
On Saturday, (November 23) the Greek coast guard said searches had been underway on the island of Leros after locals reported the presence of migrants on the southern shores of the island. A Frontex boat, two fishing boats and an airforce helicopter took part in the search. Officers from the Greek special forces located ten migrants on the south-eastern coast and six more people further inland. Three migrants were picked up from the sea.
In a press release on Sunday, November 24, the Greek coast guard reported rescuing 19 people, including five men, five women, and nine minors. Six required hospital treatment and were airlifted to the general hospital for checks, while the remaining 13 were transported by a Frontex ship to Agia Marina, Leros, and then to the registration camp on the island.
Those rescued told the authorities that at least one woman could still be missing. A 19 and a 25-year-old were identified as suspected smugglers and were arrested. The Port Authority in Leros is carrying out preliminary investigations.
With KNA, dpa, AP and Reuters