Archive: UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk during a press conference at the European headquarters of the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland | Photo: EPA/SALVATORE DI NOLFI SWITZERLAND OUT
Archive: UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk during a press conference at the European headquarters of the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland | Photo: EPA/SALVATORE DI NOLFI SWITZERLAND OUT

The UN human rights chief has expressed serious concern about a proposed Italian law on NGO migrant rescue vessels that was passed by the Chamber of Deputies of the Italian parliament last week. He has called for the law to be withdrawn and for talks to be held with humanitarian organizations.

UN human rights chief Volker Türk on Thursday (February 16) expressed "serious concern" about a proposed Italian law on NGO migrant rescue vessels that was passed by the Chamber of Deputies of the Italian parliament on February 15.

It is is scheduled for appraisal by the Senate this week.

According to a statement by the High Commissioner for Human Rights, the law could hinder the provision of life-saving assistance by humanitarian search and rescue groups in the Central Mediterranean, resulting in more sea deaths.

'Law punishes migrants and those seeking to help them'

"We all watch with horror the plight of those crossing the Mediterranean, and the desire to end that suffering is profound. But this is simply the wrong way to address this humanitarian crisis," said Türk.

"The law would effectively punish both migrants and those who seek to help them. This penalization of humanitarian actions would likely deter human rights and humanitarian organizations from doing their crucial work," the high commissioner added.

The proposed law -- the statement added -- also requires humanitarian rescue ships to head to port immediately after each rescue, foregoing additional rescues even if they are in the immediate vicinity of people in distress.

At the same time, Italy recently designated distant ports of disembarkation for people rescued at sea -- sometimes days sailing away from the original rescue site -- making it all the more difficult for vessels who may seek to conduct multiple rescues, the statement noted.

UN rejects law, urges government to talk to NGOs

The high commissioner said the proposed law also risked increased interceptions and returns to Libya -- a location the UN Human Rights Office repeatedly said cannot be considered a safe port of disembarkation.

Under the proposed law, crews on board the ships must register every person who is planning to ask for international protection.

Non-governmental organizations that do not comply with the new rules would be subject to administrative sanctions, and fines and have their vessel seized, the statement noted.

The high commissioner urged the government of Italy to withdraw the proposed law, and to consult civil society groups, in particular search and rescue NGOs, to ensure any proposed legislation complies fully with international human rights law, international refugee law, and other applicable legal frameworks, including the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea and the International Convention on Maritime Search and Rescue, the statement concluded.