Italian Interior Minister Matteo Piantedosi told parliament Tuesday that the deadly shipwreck off the southern coast of Italy was caused by smugglers steering the boat, not Italian authorities.
Italian Interior Minister Matteo Piantedosi told the Italian parliament in Rome on Tuesday that his government did nothing wrong in its handling of the migrant shipwreck off the southern coast of Italy late last month.
His statements contradict the widely reported narrative of the wreck, which has placed the blame on Italian authorities who, after receiving a call from Frontex about the migrant boat, reportedly opted against facilitating a rescue in the choppy waters near Calabria.
Piantedosi said this is not an accurate recollection of the events. Rather, he said, the shipwreck – which killed more than 70 people including many children – was caused by the smugglers steering the boat.
He said survivors aboard the vessel said the boat was close to land when smugglers saw flashing lights on the shore. Fearing they’d be met by police officers, the smugglers steering the boat made a sharp turn, causing it to hit shallow ground and become damaged.
When water started entering the vessel, two smugglers jumped into the sea, and a third fled in an inflatable dinghy to rescue them.
Both the prosecutor's office in Crotone and the office in Rome are conducting inquiries into the shipwreck.
Piantedosi has said he is waiting "with faith and respect" for the results of the judicial inquiries.